The Cal Grant Program provides free money for college from the state of California. You must have at least a 2.0 GPA and meet certain income/asset, and state residency eligibility requirements. The program is administered by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC). Cal Grants can be used at all community colleges, California State Universities, University of California campuses, and many private, career, vocational, technical, and nonprofit schools in California.

A Cal Grant is guaranteed if you meet all requirements. Submit your FAFSA or California Dream Act application online along with qualifying GPA verification to begin the process. Both forms must be completed between October 1, 2016 and March 2, 2017 when planning to begin college in 2017.